Well I have honestly say that the last two weeks have been the most awful, hardest two weeks I have ever experienced and never wish to experience ever ever again.....
We found out at our 13 week scan that our baby had anencephaly. I just remember being in the ultrasound room with Colin and Gracie and joking with the lady, as you do, that I have been having such bad morning sickness so everyone said I was having twins. She started up the machine and there was one bub there, she left the room....... Dr M came in, looked at the screen, came around to me, Colin and Gracie (who was saying 'baby baby baby' and very excited) and said those awful awful words 'this isn't good at all, this baby isn't well'. I can remember just before him saying that I noticed that the babies head didn't look right but I thought that a shadow was on it iykwim. Sometimes things can look funny on those scans but as I looked closer I noticed that the baby wasn't moving as much as Gracie had and there was no top of the head. It was utter horror - my world spun, my head and insides felt like they were going to explode. All I heard from the Dr was Sorry sorry sorry and all I heard from Gracie was baby baby baby. I broke down and wanted to get out of that room and that image.....I remember rushing out of the room and heading to the car, I felt so sorry for all the couples who were waiting for their scans seeing me running and crying....
What do you do? Who do you turn to? I hadn't even met with my Ob yet. I didn't know what to do. All I knew was that I had the scan done on Saturday and Dr M said that nothing could be done until Monday. How was I going to sleep knowing my baby was in me but 'not viable'?? Passing the room that we had picked out for the bub?? Still throwing up with morning sickness - a cruel reminder. After dramas galore is dealing with my Obs office (just so so so unhelpful and really not worth going into :( ), I ended up having to go to my local GP on Monday morning. I assumed that things would happen quickly but that isn't how the world works. I might be on hyper but the world was still going about its merry way. I just wanted to shout out DON'T YOU ALL KNOW I CAN'T HANDLE THIS???!! but didn't, I remained calm, I remained strong and tried to see the time that I had to spend with this baby as a way of saying goodbye. As I type this my heart breaks again and again... how many times can that feeling stab me. Thinking logically, forever I would say, it will just dull with time. The really hard thing for me to deal with was that my baby had a heartbeat, was very very much wanted and loved, was oblivious in the comfort of me but I would never be able to hold, bath, cuddle, feed this beautiful bub.....
- Ultrasound was on 28/4
- Appt at KEMH with Head of Fetal and assessment ultrasound was on Thursday 3/5 (my beautiful bub was deemed as 'incompatible with life' - if I made it to the end of the preg without miscarrying the baby would be unable to survive without me as its life support).
The pink mark is the shoulder, the purple mark is the hand, the blue the neck, you can see the nose and eyes - as I was told 'the baby looks like it is wearing a dark hat just above the eyes, unfortunately this is just disorganised brain tissue that will eventually dissolve throughout the pregnancy - there is no skull to keep it safe'. My decision was clear..
- My beautiful baby born still on 9/5
As I was later in the preg (15 weeks) than I had first thought I had to be induced, waited in the waiting room until things started to happen (:( ) and was put under GA at the 'appropriate' time. Appropriate? There is nothing appropriate about this situation.
But you know the very very hardest thing of all was that I didn't get the support I needed from the one person who should have.....after a troubled troubled weekend....after telling my DH to go away until his attitude sorted out....he does go and wants a divorce (NO I didn't want a divorce, I wanted your support, I wanted you to look after Gracie when I physically couldn't, I wanted you to help around the house when I physically couldn't, I wanted you to clear your head and come back, not go forever!!!!!!!!). I am sat here on my computer on my own, dealing with this on my own, having to be strong on my own with no soft place to fall and I can't speak to the person who held my hand at the 'clinic', who was there when we received the devastating news.....
My saving grace is Grace. She is my cuddle, and my hope.
7 comments:
- At 8:28 AM Anonymous said...
-
Oh Bec, i'm so sorry for everything you have had to endure. Nothing i can say is going to make it better but you are in my thoughts. ((hugs))
- At 11:58 AM Mudlark Studio Pottery said...
-
My heart breaks for you.
- At 1:00 PM Anonymous said...
-
After reading your sad post, I sit here with tears in my eyes and no words that will ease your pain. Hug Gracie, mourn for your baby and take as much time as you need to heal your soul.
- At 9:11 PM Trippylongsocks said...
-
Oh Bec. :( I didn't realise you ahd gone through so much. I just couldn't stop the tears. I am hugely HUGELY sorry for your loss.
- At 8:10 AM Flea-Bites said...
-
Dear Bec - your story has reduced me to tears. I can only imagine how you have been feeling - I know from my own (different) experiences that you really DO have to walk in someone's shoes before you can have any full understanding of their feelings. You are an amazingly strong person, although you haven't felt like it. Hang in there but let yourself grieve and try to make time to be kind to yourself. I'm glad to see that knitting is a lifeline for you - it was for me at a very bad time in my life.
- At 11:02 PM Austysmum said...
-
Oh my! My heart just aches for you reading yor story, especially about your DH. Men just don't cope with this sort of thing at all, but theyu go on pretending they are fine, that they weren't attached to the bub because it wasn't growing inside them. I am shocked that he took this awful moment to make a decision like this when you need him most. I know when I lost my angel baby at 12wks, my DH had a hard time being near me, speaking to me or letting me cry, telling me I just had to get over it. Such an awful time puts so much pressure on the relationship because everyone deals with it in their own way. I wish you all the strength you need to get through the next few months, and especially the due date. I hope your husband comes to his senses soon and gives you the support you need. HUGS
- At 1:13 PM Kat said...
-
many many hugs, I felt your pain through your words, I cannot even come close to understanding what it is to go through this. Much strength to you and Gracie

